Monday, October 12, 2009

Sleepy from the turkey?

Hello fellow Canadians, I hope all the turkey most of you ate today didn't put you to sleep. Did you know that turkey actually contains tryptophan, an amino acid which our body cannot produce. BUT tryptophan usually works best on a empty stomach which most of us do not have during a thanksgiving feast, yes we eat a lot of turkey on thanksgiving, but we also consume a lot of other foods at the same time. So is it the turkey that puts us to sleep or is it just the large meal and relaxing atmosphere that gives us the need to zzzz after the feast?? Check this out,

www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/turkey.asp

We had a festive weekend, besides Thanksgiving my daughter turned 4! We celebrated by spending a night at Great Wolf Lodge, www.greatwolf.ca in Niagara Falls. We spent hours in the waterpark which is huge. My daughter talked me into going onto the waterslide with her and she was more brave than I was, they were fast and to me felt dangerous, I haven't been on one of those since I was young. My wife and daughter spent rest of the afternoon riding the waterslides (the brave ones), while my son and I waded in the toddler pool (thankfully!) Later we had a great buffet dinner and had story time with the mechanical moose, bear, racoon, owl, eagle and talking tree. The time eventually came when my overtired children needed to go to bed, this is where the excitment began for us. My kids were going to sleep in bunkbeds about 8 feet away from our bed. My son who is 2 has never slept anywhere except a crib, he would sleep on the bottom and my daughter would sleep on the top (eeek!). Since we were all in the same room that necessitated myself and my wife going to bed at the same time, which we did, at the late hour of 9:30pm. We needed to push some chairs up against the bottom bunk to keep our son in bed and prevent any falls, crank the white noise machine up to block out any of my snoring and tucked the kids in tightly with the blankets. Needless to say the night went well, the kids started chatting back and forth to eachother at 6:30am which was kinda what we expected but we had hoped we could atleast make it until 7am. Oh well, it was only one night, but we were all quite tired on Saturday.

Back to the office bright and early tomorrow, 7am!

Have a great evening,
Nathan

No comments: