Sunday, July 20, 2008

Our little nemo fish is doing the work of nitrous gas!

Lately I have noticed I have needed to use nitrous (laughing gas) for nervous patients much less often and the reason I am sure why is our tropical saltwater tank in our operatory with the little nemo fish inside. Believe it or not, the sound of the bubbling water and the view of the fish swimming around calms the patients enough that they are foregoing using this calming gas. Patients have commented lately how much they like having the tank in the treatment room and how calming of an environment it creates. Who would've thought when I installed this tank in my operatory 1.5 years ago it would have such an effect. I am elated for my patients as I want them to feel calm and comfortable in my chair as if they were at home (where I have a few tanks for this specific reason-to feel calm and comfortable). Now I just need one in my car to combat the effects of a traffic jam.

So I am sure most of you know all about BPA's (bisphenol A) in the plastic bottles, containers, etc that were pulled off the market just a few months, well we have had a few patients that have asked us about BPA's in nightguards and we got answers from our labs that we work with. First, the nightguards that we were having custom made for our patients previously had almost untraceable amounts of BPA in them, well for us that wasn't enough. We have finally completed our search for a material to make the nightguards with that is completely 100% BPA free, so this is what our labs are using for all of our patients nightguards now, without any excess cost to the patient.

I am off to do some grocery shopping while Ethan naps.

No comments: